Search This Blog

03 December 2007

Lift Up Your Hearts, by Walter Russell Bowie

Poise
Almighty and everlasting God, Lord of lords and Light of light, who art revealed in the unfathomable heavens and in the quiet of hurried stars. Let our restlessness find rest in thee. May our wills become obedient to thy greater will, so that we may move, as the stars move, in the orbit of eternity; and without confusion and without haste, but with shining steadfastness, go on our appointed ways; through Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.

A Peaceful Heart
O God, from whom the awful forces of the universe proceed, but at whose heart is peace ineffable, help us in the midst of action to find peace. Deliver us from shallow brawling and from unsure haste. Make our purpose so profound that all our powers may be as the flowing of great waters, too deep for noise, too strong to be turned aside. When obstacles confront us, may there be in us a quiet rallying of the force that shall break through; and when opportunities open, may we move forward with the sureness of the river that finds its destined channel to the sea. Amen.

In Time of Sickness
O God my Father, hold me in thy keeping. Thou hast made my body and hast meant it to be whole. Be with me when I am bewildered by sickness and by pain. Let me trust the power of thy healing; and above all and through all let me trust thy love that does not fail. Give me back, I pray thee, health and vigor, that I may set my hands again with gladness to the unhindered tasks of life; but if this may not be, then teach me still to serve as best I can with bent or broken tools. May any suffering I must undergo teach me sympathy with all who suffer; and may every gift of life renewed send me forth with a thankful heart to greater consecration; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

3 comments:

Beth E. said...

A Time of Sickness really hits home for me. The girl is like Lily in that she's afraid of no animal and should be!

kalepa ta kala said...

I'm pretty sure that pic is not real, ha ha, but I get what you meant.

Beth E. said...

She put a spell on him!