Search This Blog

01 October 2006

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde



The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is an excellent look into the duality of mankind. It is a great read. I have trouble getting into books, no matter how much I wish against that fact. I'm slowly, very slowly changing. Most people know the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, so the anticipation of the unfolding of events is strong. Robert Louis Stevenson, author of Treasure Island, The Master of Ballantrae, Kidnapped, and more, starts the book off by setting a stage of characters. His narrative of the characters is always substantive and clear. It's as if anyone of the characters might be able to meet up for coffee sometime, including the infamous Mr. Hyde. The people are real. When I came closer to the end, I had trouble getting into the story, simply because I felt I had it all figured out. I knew who was who. I solved the supposed mystery. The unfolding of events did not have much farther to go. So I put the book aside. That was a mistake. I hate an unfinished book, so I picked the book back up out of principle. The last chapter is gripping and reaches right at the heart of humanity. I found the tale desperately sad, but perfectly honest. Stevenson was wearing one strong pair of worldview glasses when writing this tale. "My instinct and all the circumstances of my nameless situation tell me that the end is sure and must be early. Go then, and first read the narrative which Lanyon warned me he was to place in your hands; and if you care to hear more, turn to the confession of
"Your unworthy and unhappy friend,
"Henry Jekyll."

No comments: